Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Why I write

I hated writing essays in school. Especially the ones in Bengali. It still seems to me that the expectations of the teachers were set in stone. They wanted us to write in a particular way, using flowery languages and dotting the essay with quotations. The topics were so cliché that it was hard to improvise something based on our imagination and I still don't understand the use of quotations. Were we supposed to read (and understand) all those poetries from which we excerpted the quotations? Or were they supposed to be just memorized (like we did anyway)?

Another thing was, whenever we were supposed to write about the seasons or festivals, somehow all the stuff we wrote about describing nature and all were related to villages. That was very artificial for me. It never really made any sense and I was happy when it was all over. I definitely don't miss my Bengali classes.

English literature was much better. The topics for essays looked more normal and within my grasp. I think the English teachers were better than the Bengali teachers too and grammar and spelling were of more importance than flowery language. That made a big difference.

Anyway, I still didn't like to write.
I write

Later when I was preparing for GRE and TOEFL, I liked the debate type essays where I had to make a point. I always love to argue (with points) and debatable topics just make me fluff my fur up! That's why I love blogging. I don't have to "publish" them, I can scribble, well ok, type away whatever I think without giving a hoot to what others might think if they, one sunny day stumble upon my blog. Also, here is a place to vent out my opinions without really getting into a fight. I mean, I am entitled to free speech, so why not make the most of it?

I write to voice my opinions and to give form to my feelings. Sometimes, when I feel strongly about something but can't really DO anything actively, then also I write. I try to make others see my point, to make people realize their power and take active part in things they like to do, instead of just idling away their lives. I write to encourage good deeds and criticize the wrong ones. It's a free canvas where I can dabble away with any kind of paint!!!

Now I like writing because it is on my own terms and nobody is grading me for that :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

tao to tomader bangla teacher tomake koto bhalo basten!

Reea said...

Taholeo puro byapar ta khubi baje chilo...kono mane hoy na obhabe lekhanor.

bhut said...

"gachher je jinishtar opor pata-tata gojay, take gachh bole" - signature comment... :D
"desh bhromon kora oti-bhalo jinis"... in every alternate lines.

Reea said...

Khyakzzzz...!!! "Deshbhromon" ta bhule giyechilam... hahaha :D :D Sotyi ki jaa taa likhtam ami tokhon :P

bhut said...

sorry, "kather je jinishtar opor pata-tata gojay take gachh bole"