Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Harvest time!

I was standing on a little undulated hill, gently sloping down towards green fields of corn. There was a pumpkin patch too. Green vines studded with different sized pumpkins, ranging from tiny round ones to big Cinderella's coach kind of ones. Those varied in color as well. Some were patchworks of green and gold, some white and some the traditional bright pumpkin-ish orange! Those fields blended into dark green forests, green hills and beyond those ranges of blue mountains emerging from the blue sky. This is not a dream...this is a scene I saw when I was going on a hay ride to pick pumpkins at a farm near our house :)

This was my first trip to a farm and I am in love with it! Fall is the best time to visit farms, when the harvest is ready for the year. The life that I have led so far in a city is so far away from the Earth, from our connection to the soil. When I was picking up the dusty pumpkins and tugging at the vines, I could feel that connection. The smell of fall in that crisp breeze from the nearby pond, ears of corns ready to be picked (and roasted. "I'll have the garlic flavored one, please"), caramel apples, the smoky smell of hot-dogs all intermingles to make me welcome the harvest season.

The added fun was the farm animals. I LOVED the mustang!!! How I'd want to have one some time :) The grey bunny was super soft and a black cat was watching the roosters in the pen. Arnab said that the cat was deciding which one to roast and which one to curry for his meals during the week! Here are some pictures from that farm...
With friends at the pumpkin patch

The farm :)

Look who's pushing the wheelbarrow!
With a mustang

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If your literature teachers could see you now writing such wonderful skeches, they would be too happy!
So, kumros are for seeing and not eating?

Reea said...

Mishti kumro, mane sugar pumpkin gulo khaye. Egulo-o khaye hoyto. Ami interested noyi. Beshirbhag i carve kore na to decorate kore :)