Monday, October 29, 2012

Dreams of art and craft and a morning room :)

Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca" is one of my all-time favorite books. Other than the main storyline, there are a lot of other things (and descriptions) that I like a lot. Say, the Happy Valley or the description of the first breakfast that Mrs. de Winter had at Manderley. Rebecca's "morning room" is my most favorite one out of that. I would dearly love to have a morning room for myself.

My room should have two big bay windows opening towards a rose garden and another one with a seat towards the kitchen garden. The windows would have light lacy curtains to let the morning light stream in. I would paint my room in a light yellow or peach color, as yellow brightens a room more than white. Peach adds a light warmth which also I like. The floor should definitely be wooden. I haven't yet decided between maple or rosewood. Either should be ok.

Now, coming to the furniture. I want a desk, like Rebecca had (with docketed pigeon holes) and drawers full of rich, white writing paper. I'll have to have a desktop and a nice lamp too. This should sit in between the two bay windows.

The center of the room should have a nice bright rug on the floor and I want the other furniture close to the walls so as to make the room not look stuffy. On the left corner of the room, just next to one bay window would be a comfortable recliner for me to work on my yarn crafts. The walls there would have shelves to keep my patterns and books related to yarns as well as stock my supplies needed for these projects. I might want to have a small rug on the floor right below the recliner.

Near the middle, but on the left would be a big table for paper crafting and jewellery making. It should have proper lighting, a big magnifying glass and shelves for supplies too. The near left corner would have a place for displaying my work and I'll have some comfortable little seats scattered there for my visitors to come sit.

Now let's see what's there on the right end corner. That would be next to the other bay window and I guess it will have a lot of natural light. So I'll set up my easel over there. Next to it would be the drying rack, the table to put my paints and brushes on, and a book case for my art books and magazines.

Coming towards the entrance, on the right hand wall would be a smaller window with a seat. That is for me to curl up with a good book and utilize the throw I recently crocheted :) Oh, did I mention I want a mug of hot cocoa?

The near right corner would be for my quilting and sewing stuff. I need a sewing machine there and a bright daylight lamp in the corner. I would also have my sewing supplies in that corner.

The walls, I would not keep them bare, but as the room would anyway be very colorful, I'll put up only a few of my own artwork. The little seats that I have scattered can be well utilized when you come to join my knitting group :) We can pull them up towards the center and can also sit on the big rug and knit/crochet warm fuzzy things this winter :)

[PS: This is all in a dream, but when I finally start my non-profit organization, I'll surely have some studio like this for myself.]


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't try to copy Rebecca - you know what happened!

Reea said...

Khyak khyak khyak! I can even write Ria with "a tall sloping R dwarfing the other letters" :)