Sunday, February 26, 2017

For the lifelong love of learning...

... how to cook.

There is a Bengali story by Syed Mujtaba Ali, where one of the characters mention that if you are not interested in trying food from a different country, then you are not open to learn about a new culture/religion. It is true that your home food would always be your go-to comfort food, but the more you open yourself to world cuisine, not only would your tastebuds thank you, but your horizon would increase.

Even though I have started cooking French food, and a little bit East Asian
food, major cuisine areas like Mexican or Italian were still only limited to restaurant eating. Blue Apron has changed that for me (and Arnab, naturally).

I knew of Blue Apron for a few months before I decided to give them a try. We take fish, chicken, and vegetarian food from them and for the last month it feels like in our kitchen, we have traveled the entire world! I had no idea that pasta can taste so amazing, nor than African peanut sauce is a heavenly thing. I did not know that it would be possible to eat Thai food for lunch and Italian food for dinner the same day! We have reduced eating out by a lot, and the best part is that no food is wasted.


They send us the ingredients, carefully portioned out. So if I need a tablespoon of sake, I won't have to buy one full bottle. Similarly, if I had to find that myself, I wouldn't even know where to get the African spice blend. I did not know what a Meyer lemon is, or what kind of fish is Barramundi! But now, thanks to Blue Apron, I have cooked them and ate them. There is another great thing that happened. We are happily eating salads and our vegetable intake has increased a lot! I used to hate romaine lettuce, but with the unusual salad dressings I am making, even romaine is tasting great! I think the main thing is so much variety, it is not letting us get bored.

When the output is great, naturally the interest level also soar. Especially because I love cooking. A kitchen with beautiful prep bowls, a recipe holder, and wooden spoons have been my dream from a long time. It gives me good vibes, if that is a way to explain it. There is a great joy in cooking, making food from scratch, and then looking at the finished product with pride. And when that is food that I have not even seen or heard of before, like say, cannelloni pasta, then it is even better!


Blue Apron is named so because chefs wear blue aprons when they learn to cook. I bought this apron from the site so that it reminds me every time I cook, that I am always learning something new, and to keep my mind open, to stay humble, and to learn from my mistakes.


No comments: