Sunday, February 12, 2017

Short hair - the pleasures and pains

The longest hair I ever had in the entire 32 years of my existence, is shoulder-length. It isn't that I don't like long hair, I do admire it on models, but for some reason it does not suit my personality. Maybe because I never had it, I don't know why, but I don't look like myself if I have anything longer than a short bob. Though there have been times while wearing Indian clothes and thinking how strange they are looking with my asymmetric pixie cut, however, in the long run the days I like my short hair outnumber the days I wish for longer hair by a huge margin.

Why do I have short hair?

From time immemorial my mother used to get my hair cut short. Probably because she has short hair, or maybe because she thought managing long hair on a little girl is difficult. I don't know why, but that is what I always had. I really wanted to have bangs, but I wasn't allowed to get those either.

Why did I keep cutting my hair short?

Around my early teenage, I started becoming quite a rebel. At that time when girls slowly turn into proper girls, I became a tomboy. Getting rid of the girlish traits became necessary and I sacrificed my hair, turned to wearing more boyish clothes and started to have the temperament of a tomcat. (This tomcat part is something my entire extended family agrees with. That is somehow the best description of me as a teenager.)
Later, in my late teens to early twenties, I discovered that there is a couldn't-care-less attitude in tossing my head which I mastered. For that having short hair helps.

When did I really regret having short hair?

On the day of my wedding. I was probably one of the very few Bengali brides who had that short hair. It was impossible to even part my hair from the middle, let alone try a tiny pig-tail. They couldn't think of having an updo, so they added tons of weird wigs. It looked disgusting. The only good thing was the whole contraption got covered by a veil.

How did it feel to have shoulder-length hair?

It felt like "too much hair". While sleeping on my side, hair got in my mouth, hair covered my face. While eating a taco, I once got sour cream on the ends of my hair (very odd feeling).

What was the best thing of having longer hair?

Getting a real updo, with a flower in my hair. I was so shocked at that event in my life!

What has been my favorite haircut so far?

An asymmetric pixie. It has the sleek look of pixie, that emphasizes the facial features. (You can't hide behind your hair). For thick, healthy hair, a good pixie accentuates the hair too, because you can't do anything to your hair that short. The asymmetric part adds a little weirdo effect that goes very well with my personality.

Note: I really love my hair. That is probably the only thing I am concerned about in my looks. I also take good care of my hair, no coloring, no extra treatments, just coconut oil, and shampoo. I also religiously wear a swim cap while swimming :)




No comments: