Sunday, October 20, 2013

Things that make our house a home

The magazine Good Housekeeping publishes this every month - one thing that brings a homely touch wherever we live. Here is my list :)

1. Books, shelves full of them...be it study books, programming stuff, Bengali novels, cook books, astronomy, autobiographies, classics, about knitting....just books in general. Those ones that have been read over and over again that the page corners are well thumbed...they are my inanimate best friends forever.

2. Our chaise by the window, a hand-knit throw and a book...I can sit comfortably there and read...once ina while look out of the window and think...if you can think you would never feel bored :)

3. A glimpse of Bebe at the window the moment we pull in to the driveway. Having a pet waiting for you is a feeling that only those humans who are blessed to be pet parents know.

4. The kitties sleeping next to me. The content purrs teach me how to throw all worries out and sleep peacefully (for more than sixteen hours a day)!

5. The birds at the feeder. That is the only time when I get to see so many birds. Coming from a city where there were in total four kinds of birds that I knew of (কাক, চিল, পায়রা, চড়াই) this seems beautiful... blue jays are my favorites.

6. Those attempts from cookbooks that are a success... especially the foreign ones from Julia Child or the traditional Bengali ones from Leela Majumder.

7. Homegrown veggies... even if the tomatoes are tiny and I got a total of three cucumbers. They are priceless!

8. A bunch of assorted flowers on the dining table... just like that... :)

9. A lazy afternoon nap on the hammock in late summer. Freshly mowed grass? That's as added benefit!

10. A warm cup of coffee in bed on weekend mornings :D :D


No comments: