Tuesday, May 14, 2013

When knowledge is free


Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high
Where knowledge is free
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
By narrow domestic walls
Where words come out from the depth of truth
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit
Where the mind is led forward by thee
Into ever-widening thought and action
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.

I have become fan of these online courses that are offered for free. I can sign up for a lot of courses, stuff that I was interested in but never could get them into my formal curriculum. (I'll talk about the psychology course in a later article). But this is my way of thanking those who have kept knowledge free. Thanks to all those editors of Wikipedia articles, the world over who take it upon themselves to provide information to whoever has access to the internet. Thanks to Google for being there whenever we want to "look up" something from recipes of chicken soup to questions about the working of the Universe, stupid things as spellings and intriguing things as research papers!!! 

Also, it's not just free knowledge, but free interaction that enhances that knowledge and helps you think (and talk). Like in this online course, my classmates are literally from all across the globe. I was talking with some Russian and German guys about the human soul and creation of humans...I got some points in the argument which makes no sense to me, but it at least gives me patience to listen to their views. Even with the stuff I don't like, I still get the chance to know that those kinds of viewpoints still do exist!

PS: When you get a chance, take a little time to update articles in Wikipedia. It doesn't always have to be educational ones, you can write movie reviews too :) Throw in your two pence on a subject that you love (and know well), there'll be someone who will be happy that you did!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

goin back to 'dariwala' again - "koto ajanare janaile tumi
koto ghare dile thai
durke karile nikat bandhu
porke korile bhai"