Monday, May 13, 2013

Science and religion

This is probably the longest running debate in the human world, which one should we follow, which one leads to the Absolute Truth? No one knows for certain, but everyone has a definite opinion. The worst happens when people try to impose their opinions on others and conflict happens which could lead to acts of heinous nature.

Recently, I have joined an online course on the Introduction to Psychology, where invariably, this question arose in the general discussions. As I have always found, the students almost divided into two groups and started arguing. Most of the argument can be summed up in one short sentence that says - "I am right and you are wrong!"

I don't want to dismiss the argument. If so many people have some common opinions, then I guess I should invest some thoughts in that. The thing is, as many people are saying is, if you believe in the Big Bang that one moment everything was created with a BANG then they want to call that force, or whatever that triggered the entire thing as God. Well, I don't have any objections to that. After all, what's in a name? If you call Big Bang as God, fine... it's a name. The funny thing is when different religions claim that "their God" (whatever that is) is the only hope to salvation. Well, how do they know that? They say, from the religious scriptures, which can't be questioned. Here is my objection. When you tell people that the paint on the wall is wet, they'll not believe until they check it out for themselves, but when you tell them that a certain writing is the ABSOLUTE truth, they'd believe it without a word!

Another funny thing is how the social structure got dependent on the religious side. Now tell me, where in the Hindu text (Hindus don't have any "text" per se in the first place) has anyone found about being a vegetarian? I have heard extremely non-sense arguments from people who are vegetarians (but eat eggs) about how you accumulate sin when you eat meat. Man, that I call pure creativity. You have to have a wild imagination to come up with those arguments. I don't know enough details of other religions yet, but I am sure "asking questions" which makes religious leaders uncomfortable is not encouraged in any. The main thing that makes me dismiss all these is if every religion claims the God that they follow to be the one and only solution, then how many Gods are there in total? Also, say an alien is visiting us to whom we lay down the facts about all religions, how would we convince it to follow one religion and not the other? How would the religions lay their case?

Carl Sagan has stated some wonderful points in Contact when Ellie Arroway was asked why she isn't an atheist instead of being agnostic. True, Occam's Razor would make me an atheist from that point, but then again, to be atheist is to confidently believe that God isn't there. I am too small a human with extremely little knowledge to say that God doesn't exist. So, the best thing I should say is "I don't know". The one last question I have is this - I understand that science can't tell us for sure how the Universe was made, nor can religion, but scientists are open to different ideas. Say, if tomorrow someone truly finds out something that is faster that light, scientists the world over would have no problem in accepting that. But would religious people be open to accepting something that is more powerful than God? I don't think so.

Here's what my goal  is - think....think rationally and DON'T accept anything unless you know that to be true. In the mean time, there are plenty of stuff to do in the physical world. Help others, learn things, grow yourself and don't waste time and energy on senseless superstition or vague spirituality.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are right in suggesting people to do their work and I would like to add - be true to yourself without harming others -physically or mentally. Keep your belief to yourself - no harm in that until you impose it on others.
Actually everything pivoted around power and religion was intended to keep a tribe/clan/village under the control of a person/group of people. Science started with reason and questions like 'why', 'how' etc. So, be your own guide and follow your mind. As Ramakrishna said ' neer phele kheer nao' - choose your own line.