Monday, May 06, 2013

Sights and smells around the house

There are some stuff related to household chores which I like...the feel of some, the smell of another...they make me feel "at home". Here's a list of those....

1. Squeaky clean hardwood floors - there's something about clean, smooth hardwood floors that I very much like. They make the room look bigger, cleaner and net as a whole. Also, they feel nice to the foot, a warm and homely thing...

2. Clothes out from the dryer - "clean linen" I'd call them. They are just amazing.

3. Water on plants on a summer evening - when the Sun gets down on a warm summer evening and the plants and grass are watered, there is a very nice smell that I get even from the bedroom window upstairs (which overlooks the yard). That smell, mingled with the last rays of the evening in the west and the evening star combines to create a perfect summer evening :)

4. White bed sheets and pillow cases - they have a cool, fresh and clean look to them. Just the sight of them at the end of a tiring day relaxes me.

5. White bath towels with bright borders - another cozy thing...this is what I call the "classic towels". I pretty much hate patterned towels, unless it is for kids. Towels with monograms are very pretty too. We have white ones monogrammed with a tall "R" which are very classy looking too. 

6. A hand made throw and a book on a comfortable recliner - this is one of my best things ever in the house. It is something I personally feel good about our house and when I see this in other houses, it gives me a very nice impression about those people in most cases. A nook would be even better, but the recliner or chaise works well too.

7. Dinner on the porch - I never realized how nice this thing is. It's like a miniature camping trip in itself. With chirping birds and a cool breeze, not to mention Bebe chasing tennis balls and Peanut Butter lazying around on the grass, the wind chime playing its own music, scent of citronella coming from a candle in  little red lantern... our tiny back yard feels so good :)

8. Smell of something baking on a chilly evening - be it the holiday cookies or a hearty stew.

It's important for a house to look pretty, but the most important thing is for it to look "lived in". I have seen beautiful houses that look like pictures of glossy magazines but I would definitely never feel comfortable living there. I am not saying there needs to be clutter everywhere for me to feel good, but a clean, nice house with all the things I mentioned do make me feel good :)


3 comments:

bhut said...

thik thik.... oi tyara byanka shelf jeta puro khali with assymmetrically placed kono weird sculpture ba kono dewal tate ekta boro picture frame e sudhu ekta dot er chhobi types interior thik cosy lage na.

Unknown said...

"laga deo ek" bari gulo to thakar noy, dekhanor jonye - ekta bari tokhoni thik 'bari bari' hoye othe jakhan tate nijer lokera thake. sab floor, pillow case aar towel to tader jonyei - tabe por ishkar porichhono (ami finicky bolchhi na) rakhao chai . thik thak pochhondor manush-jon na hole kintu sab i biphole jaye - manush bolte oboshyo thaba-kaan- lej oalarao achhe!

Devy Pranowo said...

I agree with most of the stuff here!!