Monday, August 20, 2012

My red cars

On one August afternoon, right before my fifth birthday, I was woken up from my afternoon nap and was told that I'd get a new car! Kakabhai came home early from work and took Mao and me to Wonderland Toys at Park Street. Before we left, Baba told me "get a bright red car for yourself!" At Wonderland Toys, I looked at different cars, the sales girl was telling me to get a blue one which had beeping red lights but I shook my head resolutely and said, "no, Baba told me to get a red car." So I finally got my first red car.... it was called Air India (no idea why!) and the license plate was 786. I drove that red car around our terrace with Bhut carefully marking street signs, zebra crossings and the necessary things a driver needs to know in order to drive safe. Baba envisioned that I'd learn basic maneuvers with this car which will help me in the long run. I drove that car until I could not fit in that any more....that was my first car!

Twenty three years later, again on one August afternoon, Arnab came to pick me up from work and said, "let's just drop by the Honda showroom and see what 2013 models they've got." I was looking for a Honda Fit for some months and we thought this would be the right time. We were shown a dark blue model at a different showroom but I hated the color. Baba has told me to get a red car! So I was looking for a base model in red... They had it at this showroom, the price offered was very close to the one we expected and the bright milano red exterior shone brilliantly in the afternoon sun! There's no way we could have left without buying this 2013 Honda Fit.

Tomato and I
My car, Tomato has arrived. She is sitting next to her elder brother, Arnab's white Honda Civic. To hold the new car keys in my hand, step on the gas pedal and the smooth turning the steering wheel... coupled with a feeling of independence is an experience to be cherished all through my lifetime!!






5 comments:

Reea said...

Tobei bolo...onek bhebe Tomato ta ber korechi :)

Reea said...

Haha, amar meye bole katha :-) Kal to office e bhir kore lokjon Tomato ke dekhte elo :-)

Unknown said...

tomato namta khub lagshoi hoechhe. sabdhane rekho kintu - norom jinish!

Reea said...

Na na, besh shokto-pokto manush Tomato :)

bhut said...

Tomato ke welcum... ebar or jonyo shampoo, towel etc. keno.. jotno-atti korte hobe to !!