Saturday, February 06, 2016

Mountaineers and the Spirit of the Himalayas

I am one of those blessed people who are easily inspired by Nature. I would consider this to be a very important thing because even though I am an extrovert, I feel completely at ease with myself among Nature. Sometimes I actually prefer solitude. That can be swinging on my hammock and lazily watching the bees or taking a few minutes to pause my life and look at the snowy peaks of the Himalayas.

I have always been in love with Himalayas. It was in 1994 that I first saw snow covered peaks on the way from Shimla to Manali. I still remember people on the bus standing up to see the tiny white ranges appeared in the distance. Now I see snow covered ranges everyday. The ranges towards North Bend are clearly visible from my office in Bellevue, but the have never lost their charm. As much as I love Mt. Rainier, the connection with Himalayas is something very different. You need to see Kangchenjungha in the rising sun to feel that. When the snows turn from pink to gold and then to sparkling white, you feel why it is a divine place.



I was reading Jamling Norgay's book "Touching my Father's Soul" and found that mountaineers climbing the Himalayas have always felt that something is way different than when climbing other peaks. Maybe because of the possible divinity? It is an insult to name the mountain Chomolungma after a mere mortal, Everest. You have to be humble while climbing the mountains, you can't claim it like a trophy, Jamling has mentioned and I completely agree with him. Like among the Native Americans there is the culture of thinking everything, from a tree or a stone has life, in the Himalayas too, you need to imagine that the mountains and rivers have divinity. The source of innumerable life giving rivers that sustain life in five countries definitely need to be respected.

Mountaineering needs all the skills necessary to make a good human being out of you. Immense physical strength coupled with discipline, tenacity, teamwork, risk management, quick thinking and utmost bravery. You also need to be humble. Those huge peaks have always made me feel super tiny, and once you realize the power that can nullify you in a matter of seconds, you would not want to feel the wrath of the mountains.

I am so glad that I love Himalayas. On my trip to the border of Tibet 1998, I spent a fortnight in the high mountains at more than 11, 000 feet. That is when I came to love the mountains dearly. They have the power to transform you and bring out certain thoughts that people don't generally come across on the level plains. Maybe, one day I will be able to hike up to the Base Camp of Chomolungma. I know that all my beloved mountaineers - from George Mallory to the ones of the present day would be there in spirit.


No comments: