Friday, March 27, 2015

Down the memory lane to the 1990s

I have forgotten the TV shows, remember snippets of those cricket matches but when it comes to the advertisements I not only remember them very well but some of them I liked so much that the memories associated with them are very fond ones.

Thanks to YouTube, we can watch the ads too just like we can watch old TV shows. When I watch these I seem to wonder what happened to the simple lives we had? The families, the clothes, the means of conveyance...seems like life was much simpler. Families had a proper structure, neighbors were much closer and little things really made people happy. I understand there were problems too, but maybe as I was much younger, I only associate the 90s with much fondness.

This is the ad I would start this series with. Those people who buy cars after almost landing on their first jobs make me wonder what happened to this India? (The video is so old that it is pixelated)

This is from 1989 actually

And this is of that little boy whom we all like... the word "Jalebi" is sure to bring back memories of this ad.

Dhara

This music, replayed many times on different instruments still tell the same story. A household, a wedding, two sisters, their father...the main thing is the commodities never really matter that much. We anyway buy Titan watches. These ads just make us remember those days more than the things they tried to sell.


Titan

Now comes the story of India... Amul deserves a blog article just for its own. I don't know of a single major event in India that they have missed. That girl is just too familiar in Indian households. She is literally present in every dining room all across the country.
The funny thing is that in the commercials, all the characters look like her but you can distinguish the famous people without fail, be it Sachin Tendulkar, Sushmita Sen or Pranab Mukherjee! And here's the ad that takes you across India...

Amul

And here's my favorite. If I have to choose my best ad ever, it would be this one. Maybe because of the fact that the thing is Cadbury. Our most favorite chocolate with the logo of a glass and a half full. And also because it shows the snowy white clad cricket player. Where did they all go? The red leather ball? The open stands? I have lovely memories of the 1996 World Cup and of Aravinda de Silva associated with this ad. This is a must watch.

Cadbury's

This one is extra...this is Arnab's special favorite

Feviquick





No comments: