Monday, November 18, 2013

Some things I am thankful for

As it is Thanksgiving in November, I like the practice of finding the things one is grateful for and write them down. Some people do it everyday as a journal, some do differently... but it is the same at the end. Here are some things I am thankful for.

A safe and happy childhood
With news of all sorts of child abuse showing up multiple times everyday all over the world, now I understand what security means to a child. It provides much more than happy childhood memories, it helps a person grow to a normal healthy human being. A baby who is loved, a child who feels happy in his home can grow up to become confident adults.

Pursuing my dreams
Be it a career or knitting a blanket, I generally get to do what I want to. And that is not negligible. There are millions of people all over the world who don't get a chance to do what they want to for various reasons. Some don't have the economic independence while others are swamped in the quick sand of society.

For a healthy body and mind
It is easy to overlook these things as granted. Only when you see someone who doesn't have these things then you realize what great gifts you have been given. The simple thing of an eyesight or having both legs of the same height can make a very big difference in a person's life. To think about what can happen when someone's mind is not healthy just overwhelms me.

A roof over my head and food on the table
... and that I didn't really have to fight for any of these.

The people I am surrounded with
 from family, friends, neighbors, colleagues, professors, hair dresser, pet sitter....all the great, funny, hard working, honest, humble, smart, helpful people that I interact with on a daily basis. I love being with people and good ones make me love that even more.

My fur babies
...unless you love an animal, a part of you remains un-awakened. My fur babies have taught me so many things...they love unconditionally, simple things like a cardboard box or a tennis ball can make them happy beyond words. Just give them enough food, a cozy place and lots of love - that's all they need. Hmm...don't we also need such few things to survive?

My family
For supporting me to have everything I needed from day 1 to this moment... :)

PS: I'm also thankful for the armed forces and law enforcement people who keep us safe and the medical people who keep us alive :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is said that the best things in life can never be bought it needs Somebody to hand them down to you. So be thankful for all you get and try to do little bits for the others who are not so privileged (yes I know you do it).