Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Spring

From when I started writing essays on seasons, I have found that summer and winter are not really portrayed in a nice way. Spring is the most "well marketed" season in the entire world. With new flowers and birds, the days getting longer after the dull dreary bleak gray winter evenings, I see why people love this season. There is a human tendency to love and be drawn towards sunshine and even the most lazy ones too go out in the open when the weather is nice. I feel an incredible urge to pot new plants and dream of huge extensive kitchen and herb gardens. It feels good.

Last weekend was one of those "perfect spring" days that I have seen. The sky was BLUE without a single piece of cloud, cherry blossoms are all over and daffodils, hyacinths, grape hyacinths and all are blooming in every house. My daffodils seemed to have sprung up from nowhere. I totally forgot about them, but their bulbs were hale and hearty under the soil and came right up when the time was good. My tulips have also started to show little buds. I am sure within a week they should bloom too.

Arnab has finally started to tend to the lawn. I am hoping his "patch test" will be successful and that the entire lawn would look better. Earthworms have also taken it up on themselves to care for my plants. I don't like to see them when I am digging holes to plant the saplings, but once I am not near that, all earthworms are welcome to come stay in the soil :) 
Rosemary is the only herb that can be planted outside before the last day of frost, so I got one of them out now. I am waiting for end spring to plant cilantro and catnip outside. Same for tomato and eggplant. I have a dream of having proper home grown veggies (not the tiny tomatoes I had last season).

The best thing is when you sit outside in the afternoon and see the flowers in bright sunshine, little birds flying to the from the bird feeder, chirping and calling their friends. When the sun is warm but under the shade you can feel the cool breeze and look up to the azure dome...

All I now need is a hammock and I should be all set for spring and summer in the Pacific North West!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are lucky to encounter spring there - here 'basanta' just lives in literature and can hardly be seen in nature! winter just jumps to summer - without leaving any space for spring. Enjoy!