Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Teenage

"Half wit poems, stories wild, April letters warm and cold, diaries of a willful child"... this is a line from one of my most favorite poems ever. And the poem is from a very favorite story too. Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women" and "Good wives" are not just good reads, but also I would say, kind of a companion for girls. Even though the plot ages for more than two hundred years, I still think of the four sisters and especially Jo as a friend I had from my growing up days. Simple things that girls go through, yearning for nice clothes, wanting to go for a dance, massacres in the kitchen, simple longings, pleasures and pains of growing up, bittersweet incidents of first love and the inevitable heartaches that follow... are all so real in the book and all so similar to what I have gone through that I can't help not loving it!

Just like Jo's trunk where her name was carved on the lid by a boyish hand, my old cupboards and cabinets also contain wild stories (with plots copied from Saradindu's historical novels or any story that was my latest favorite at that time) and totally half wit stories too, not to mention the poems...well, I haven't written too many poems either in my life. I have read some of my old diaries last time when I was at home and how I laughed! In eighth grade we bid farewell to some friends for we would be separated into different sections and that farewell seemed such a sorrowful affair! Now I can't remember when I last saw them but sorry to say I don't miss them at all! Then there was the obvious part of "first love"s... I very well remember which boy in our class liked which girl. That was still the time when as a rule girls hated boys. It was considered bad if you let boys give you gifts and all without telling them that - "you know what? We don't like this." The boys kept on saying how much they love the girls and how they will suffer if those girls don't love them back. Those "boys and girls" are almost all on my Facebook but they are all happily married to different people, some even have kids of their own!

Oh how I love my teenage days! Yes I know I have done quite a lot of foolish stuff at that time but those were the days when my personality slowly started to take on its own course. I threw tantrums, I fell for cricketers (well, I was too tomboyish anyway) and movie stars and that was the time when friends started to play a big role in my life. It is not bad that we argue with parents and take sides with friends. That is the first step we take outside the walls of our families. Friends are the first people of that outside world.

Teenage days are the stepping stones of life. Things may not work smoothly, but that's how life teaches us new things. Every phase of life is so important that missing out on one would leave a gap in the experiences of life. I so cherish my foolish teenage days...and I am so happy that those memories make me smile :)

3 comments:

bhut said...

Beguni pori ta ki teenage e? na aro aage?
nailpolish er chhobi ta dekhe khub hashi pelo... or modhye kichhu ekhono amar dressing table e achhe..

Reea said...

na na, Beguni pori to bochhor 7-8 e :) Amar to abar hotat kore "nailpolish ichhe" jege uthto :P

Unknown said...

That book cuts across time and place just because it is so simple - that makes it universal. The readers, especially the teenage girls can always identify with the characters. Teenage is of course a wonderful time but the other phases of life can also be wonderful - just wait and see!