Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Stop me before I volunteer (again)

Introverts have been writing articles after articles in trying to explain why that personality trait is good and that people shouldn't confuse introverts with shy people. In the Jung test too you'd find a number of famous thinkers who are introverts. Arnab being of that group explained to me why you need to be an introvert to be a thinker - "you need to not talk while you think. Simple!"... Yes, I understand. But the thing is while introverts were thinking of stuff, extroverts were actually talking to people and getting thinks done! Hehe, just joking... :D Well, we need both kinds of people (example: Arnab and I) to balance the world, but what I am trying to say here is that life is not easy for extroverts either.

When I was small, I was a branded chatterbox. I talked too much...in school teachers complained that I disrupted the class. My art teacher couldn't think of any ways to make me keep shut while I scribbled on paper. "Keep quiet" was perhaps the most common thing I heard at that time. Followed by that were explanations why talking too much hampers my concentration and as a result my studies. Another big thing was why I always jump up and start fights with the least provocation, why I am always on the front to argue with people, "why you?" was another common thing I was asked. To be very honest, I didn't pay attention to either and made complete use of "through one ear and out the other" when I felt arguments would be a waste of energy.

Now when I think back I find that it is my type A personality that is to be blamed. I can't help it, I am made that way. Once out of the stereotypical role of a student who always patiently sits in class (the chalk-and-talk classes I mean) without asking anything or a young woman who should not be heard, I started to feel more comfortable in the big world as now I can be "myself". There are so many things to be done in the world and we have so little time that I don't want to waste that by not being proactive. Be it claiming to fix a defect or to volunteer for the animal shelter, just count me in! Why I was saying that life is tough for the extroverts? Because they tend to take up a lot of responsibility and then have to handle them all. Also, type A people are bubbling with energy and they don't like damp blankets, but they still have to motivate those damp blankets. Type A people get very upset when things don't work out they way they planned (I do, very much) so that's another reason why they have to stay motivated all along in spite of all these stupid things.

Introverts and type B people are good, they are easy going relaxed people who enjoy things in a slow pace. They are never agitated, they can easily unwind and relax. But I am happy to be a type A. The life I am leading now is giving me every opportunity to be what I always wanted to be - the person that I am! I can meet new people, talk to them and learn cool stuff, look at things from different perspectives, try my hand at new skills, speak my mind (argue if needed), think and provide solutions both at work and home, volunteer for causes I support and just talk non-sense and laugh when I want to for the most silly reasons ever!

I am grateful for what I am... :)

No comments: