Tuesday, December 11, 2012

'tis the season

I have seriously thought about this...even though we all say that sunny weather is awesome, I still don't want it to be bright and sunny till eight o' clock in winter. It somehow just doesn't suit. Can you imagine looking at a well lit Christmas tree when the sun is blazing outside till late evening? How terrible! The weather outside needs to be frightful in order to make the fire to be so delightful. I had this realization during Thanksgiving when I was watching my friend carve the turkey but it still holds good for the entire winter.

It's already a week and half into December and Christmas is sneaking up real quick. Stockings for Mota, May, Peanut Butter and La would be hung from our fireplace soon, ready to be stuffed with kitty goodies, catnip toys and treats. Christmas movies on TV, shopping malls are all decorated, Salvation Army people ringing little tiny bells, reminding you to spend a little thought for those not that fortunate. That's the spirit of Christmas... that's what makes me feel so good!

Is there anyone who doesn't love Christmas movies? I mean can there be anyone who doesn't like Christmas movies? Is that even possible? Doesn't the jingling sound of bells and the thought of stockings hanging from a fireplace just make you fuzzy warm? It does to me :) The thought of going home, being with family and the thought of giving is what makes this season special to me.
Frosty with friend in our back yard

It was long back when I used to act in Christmas plays in junior school, or sing carols as part of the school choir. It's also been sixteen years since I read "The Gift of the Magi" or "A Christmas Carol", but good for me that the spirit of Christmas hasn't abandoned me. I remember when we had to give gifts to the kids at Mother Teresa's organization. Wrapping the toys with colorful paper, carefully so that the papers wouldn't tear. Coming from one of the largest schools in the world, there's no doubt why almost half of our school courtyard would be filled with gifts for the not-so-fortunate kids. When schools teach these, they automatically push students a notch up in the scale of humanity. Today I saw on TV that some little kid is donating all her birthday money for some fund raiser and schools organizing toy drives.

We have a toy drive and a food bank donation going on at work. A bake sale is coming up too next week for which I baked my first batch of forty spiral cookies :) I love to be around enthusiastic people, people who care and want to "DO" something. With our donation drives, some people are setting up boxes, some are putting flyers up. One girl was rubbing her hands in anticipatory joy of being able to bake some stuff. One person volunteered to drive to Seattle to drop off the toys...that's the kind of mentality I like. People who take actions, people who are positive. Not grumbling about weird imaginary stuff, but really caring about people who need help and offering to lend that helping hand.

PS: There are Scrooges too, but well, Scrooge changed later into a nice man. So let's hope for the best for these people too :)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

As you told me once some people will need more time to get emancipated (though I doubt about the length of that time!) so better not look their way - see the cheerful and positive side- at least for this festive season.
snowman tora baniechhish?

Reea said...

Ha amaderi to banano, tobe 2 years back