Friday, June 08, 2012

These are a few of my favorite things...

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens..." Julie Andrews' voice rings in my ears. "Doe a deer, a female deer" was amongst the first few songs that I learned and I very well remember my mom signing "my favorite things" and "with a spoonful of sugar the medicine goes down" types of songs for me...

Now that I am well past that age, I look back and try to find out if I still have some "favorite things" which when  remembered would make me feel good.... well, I do have those.

Thunderstorms!

Lightning strikes
Slate grey skies, lightning sparks and rumbling thunderbolts....accompanied with torrential rain. I like to think of the cumulonimbus clouds passing over us, discharging electricity and the dendritiform structure. Thunderstorms are bold, dashing and speak of power...I love them.





Rainbows

Double rainbow
I think rainbows are the most beautiful things on Earth (or sky). The fact that it is transient and virtual makes it even more beautiful. On a road trip from Oregon, we once saw three rainbows. One was by itself and the other had a buddy (double rainbow, I mean). That's when I saw that the secondary rainbow has the colors in the other way - ROYGVIB instead of VIBGYOR. It was simply incredible!! We almost passed through rainbow bridges :-)



Full moon

Full moon
There was a time when I realized the moon had no value so I was planning how to get rid of it. My mom didn't like that concept and she asked me to leave it alone. "How is the moon harming you?" she asked. Well, it didn't harm me, but I did see it the same way as a redundant button on a website. Anyway, before I could device any plans of blasting out the moon, I saw a program on Discovery channel which said how the moon stabilizes the rotation of the Earth. Good for the moon, I let it live :-)
I love to see the full moon in the clear sky. Mostly when it just rises. Also, different full moons bring different moods. In India, we have many events tied to the full moon of every month. Buddha Purnima is Lord Buddha's birth anniversary, attaining salvation and death anniversary. Holi brings the advent of spring, Rakhi (Raksha bandhan) celebrates the bond between brothers and sisters, Kojagori is the religious festival of Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth and prosperity.

Candle light

This simple thing has such a soothing effect that I have put them in every room of my house. If you get the scented ones, then they are even more relaxing. Soaking in a warm tub, with foamy lavender bubbles and a lavender/cedar wood candle can be so pampering for the body and soul :-) Oh, I forgot to mention the "healing music" app (which has a timer to it).



Story books on a rainy day

Here it is
Story books are awesome all the time but there's nothing like curling up with one on the couch slipping under a warm (home made) throw on a soggy wet afternoon :-) That's the ultimate dream of bookworms I guess.

PS: Google always has the perfect image that I want. All these pictures are found from Google!

4 comments:

Kuntala said...

সবকটা মিলেছে। তবে শেষেরটা বেড়াল ছাড়া।

Reea said...

Hehe! Tumi eibar ekta beral pushe felo. Company o hobe, chhobi tao sarthok hobe.
Sedin likhlam double rainbow'r katha, tarpor sondhyebelai dekhi YA BORO BORO duto ramdhonu utheche. :D Byapok laglo dekhe!

bhut said...

ekii !!! favourite things er modhye ektao khabarer ullekh nei !!! unbelievable !!

Reea said...

Khyakzz!