Thursday, June 07, 2012

Raindrops are fallin' on my head

In the Pacific Northwest life doesn't stop because of rain...as, quoting my long forgotten geography text books, moisture laden winds blow from the Pacific which are stopped by Mt. Rainier. Then they condense and turn into rain which fall incessantly on the western slopes of the mountain. No wonder Seattle is the "rain city".
Space needle
 Funny as it seems, but I still love the rain! This morning I woke up and saw the houses across the natural reserve looking dull and grey and the rain clouds hanging almost at the end of my nose. We drove all the way to work in rain, the traffic flow was staggered, I was late for a meeting (good that I could call in though, three cheers for technology) and everything seemed bleak.

But...

I haven't seen this torrential rain in a long time...from around 2 o'clock we saw that!

I don't have a window office, but I sit right next to two of them so I could see the water on the ground, the slate grey skies and the big rain drops! I don't know why, but heavy rain makes me feel so alive, it is so interesting.

Green foliage has a wonderful look on rainy days, the green and the grey give it a heavenly beauty which is hard to explain. Also, the clouds are hanging so low, they might touch the tops of the evergreens! A willow branch is hanging next to my closest window, water dripping from it. The aspens brought a fresh green look standing in front of the dark green pines...there are so many shades of green!

I had always been a fan of rain and I am happy that Seattle drizzles haven't been able to prove otherwise :-) Loved the below picture very much, so sharing. It has this dreamy, misty look to it that I love.
Rain in woods


3 comments:

Kuntala said...

আমাদের এখানে বৃষ্টির ছিটেফোঁটা নেই রিয়া। হিংসে করছি তোমাকে।

Reea said...

Amader to surjo ar othei na, othei na. Kal theke besh ektu utheche. Aj dekhi Mt. Rainier o ga jhara diye utheche, etodin to kantha mure ghumochhilo :)

bhut said...

amadero borsha elo bole.. ritimoto bojro-bidyut soho brishtipat hobe... heh heh heh