Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Spectacular spectacles

A blogger friend of mine recently commented that she can't hear, taste or practically understand anything without wearing her spectacles. I totally agree to that! For people who don't wear glasses, it's impossible to understand the pleasures and pains of having one.

Before I was born, when the crazy business of meiosis was happening and chromosomes were sorting themselves out, they (I don't know who) copy pasted that part from my dad's chromosomes which contained the information about my eyes. So it happened that I inherited a high myopia and astigmatism and I have been wearing glasses since 1990.

In all these 22 years, my glasses have transformed from tiny aviator shaped shell framed ones (with a cord round my neck) to comparatively light ones with high index glass and finally to a high index, reflective coated one in thin metal frame...whatever their looks may be, they have all become a part of myself and I really can never imagine my life without them.

I have contact lenses but I really don't like to wear them. Perhaps because of my astigmatism, lenses don't fit me properly and make me crabby and irritated. An exception was my wedding day and a couple more times when I was elaborately dressed up. As I don't care that much about my looks and I don't wear dangling ear-rings anyway so I can override looks for comfort.

There are times when they make life difficult - say for example those incidents in my childhood when I was cautioned "don't do that, you'll break your glasses" or the difficulty in swimming or playing cricket when glasses can make you feel totally miserable...but with all the other stuff glasses don't interfere. Unlike lenses, you don't go crazy when a speck of dust lands on your eyes or you don't need to take them off when you sleep. (Yes, you can sleep wearing your disposable lenses but is it very comfortable?) There are other reasons too -
You have a protective shield between your eyes and that disgusting half chopped onion that emits horrible fumes to make you weep.
You will be called 4 eyed. That's something I like! People have 2, I have 4 for free so I'm in a better position :-)
People with glasses look smarter than their non-glassed counterparts. So, some people wear glasses just for fashion. I have been made a fashionista from my childhood in this regard!

Wear your's with pride!
From the time my alarm goes off and I fumble on my bedside table for my glasses, to the time I take them off my nose and put them back on the bedside table, they are with me in every step of life. It will be impossible (literally so) to take a single step without them.

With my glasses sitting on top of my nose, the ends secured to the back of my ears I am ready to take on the world!! Haha, bring it on!!!


[PS: Some people say "boys don't make passes to girls who wear glasses" but that's utterly non-sense. Wear your's with pride!]

4 comments:

Infinite Accomplishment said...

I have never worn spectacles in my life. I can't imagine a life with spectacles :-)

But it's good to read the other perspective. Now I know how my husband must be feeling ;)

Reea said...

I kinda know how you feel. My dad's glasses were -13 and -15 before he had his cataract operation but my mom can still read numbers of buses from the window on our third floor. Arnab can read speed limits from such a distance when I can't even see if there's a speed sign :P I guess that's how you guys compensate your "chashmesh" partners!

bhut said...

hey chashmesh, for me, it is the same with contact lenses...
it is just like looking with your own eyes, free movement of eyeball..not restricting you to look through a particular hole for clear vision & the rest is blurred..
it only let knows of its existance when dust disturbs it.. 2-3 blinks and its over..
during sleep you hav to remove both, so its a non-issue..
only drawback is a lil labour required for cleaning..thats it.

Reea said...

Haha! Yes that's true, there are many positives of wearing contacts but it is extremely uncomfortable for people with astigmatism. Acuvue oasys is very good though but I still prefer being "chashmesh" :-)