Monday, April 16, 2012

In favor of growing up

Most people cherish their childhood memories... comforts of the family, carefree afternoons, long summer vacations are definitely things to be cherished. I used to go to an international students' group in UAB and remember having an ice-breaker where we all talked about our favorite childhood memories. One guy said he missed the afternoon naps, another girl said she missed going for long drives with her parents, another "Daddy's girl" missed those days when she was tiny and could sit on her dad's knees. My fond memories are Saturday afternoons when everyone in our joint family would be home!

On second thoughts, however, not everything was so rosy. Here are my top reasons in favor of growing up:

10. Go to bed and wake up WHENEVER you feel like. Who cares? And what if you just have a cup of coffee for breakfast?


9. Get paid for what you do. Not wasting millions of hours sitting on the benches and listening to pointless chatter of the teacher. Now my "time is money". My school didn't pay me to study there, on the other hand I was the one who paid them. My company behaves better in that respect.

8. No limited screen time. Who monitors how many times I played Fruit Ninja from the morning? No one! As much as you want TV viewing, Facebook time and video games. Isn't this good enough to grow up?
Who says caffeine is not one
of the major food groups?

7. Have a car in your control and go ANYWHERE you want to. (Mine's not here yet, but this one's just in anticipation.)

6. Not bundle up if you don't feel cold. Well, I might just want to wear that shorts and boots in winter. Why not?

5. Eat your favorite foods all through the day. I had 4 pieces of Ilish for lunch and then again for dinner. Would I ever dare to do that at home? Haha! That's what a rhetorical question is.


Me during April-May 2003

4. How about eating out? I don't know how many times I ate out while I was at home. But sometimes you just need "good food" which you don't have to cook yourself.

3. Buy crazy things for yourself and don't have to answer what exact purpose you need that for. When I bought my set of 48 glittery/neon/metallic gel pens did I know how many scrapbook pages I'd fill out with them?


2. No home work! When I lock my desktop at the end of the work day, what happened in there, stays there. I don't have to complete a test code at home and submit that to my manager the next morning and be graded on that. 

The final one-
1. No EXAMS! Yesss!! I am done with them... Higher Secondary and WB-JEE....and you guys are the reason I don't ever want to go back to my school days.

2 comments:

bhut said...

Agree on all your points... just a few points to highlight...
1. maybe you are lucky for not getting homeworks from your employer, here we do hav work to be done/finished at home, for me it is more difficult keeping hiya at bay. its easier to work at office where you hav to worry of nothing else other than work.
2.all these 'eating out', 'doing whatever', 'going wherever' follows a curve. currently you may be at peak, it'll follow a downward track as soon as a lil one is there to share n demand all your time. then u hav to plan accordingly...believe me.
3.now even a cup of coffee which u wish to enjoy at home has to be prepared by u only, earlier it was "kobiiitaaa...diii...."

i think just-growing-up is good when one gets the first taste of independence... later on, its only responsibilties... this is THE time when one crave for those carefree days [childhood OR just-grown up]and start lamenting for the days-gone.

Reea said...

Hmm... chhanapona is a different thing. Onara ele pore plan korte hoy accordingly seta true. Amader Mota der jonyeo plan change korte hoyeche onekbar!