Saturday, July 12, 2014

Fictional heroes

I have talked about Aravinda de Silva before, who is my hero from time immemorial, but this article is going to be for some men who are totally fictional. Even with their virtual status they still mean a lot to me and I hope, to humankind as well.

1. Sherlock Holmes

'...when you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.'
I was thinking that when I meet someone, what appeals to me the most. The first thing I like is a person's honesty and the next, invariably is intellect. Sherlock Holmes has everything that appeals to my mind. A strong capacity of observation and clear reasoning. I said once that a software tester needs to be like a detective. That is why I appreciate Holmes even more nowadays.

I was reading his quotations and almost all of those I can apply with software testing. You can't assume, you shouldn't guess, you can't make exceptions. Science has no place for exceptions. It is not logical, they do break the rule and not prove it. And then is his take on data. He always said don't guess the reasons for anyone's action and then get everything to retrofit. You should not come to any conclusion before you have data.

The sharp grey hawk eyes, that tall and thin figure in great coat and deer stalker cap and the famous pipe...I can visualize him in his study, at Paddington, around London...the man who stirred up our reasoning capacities and who made us use our grey cells a little more.

2. Arjunbarma

My beloved romantic hero of all times. I don't have a picture of him to share, but I have a vivid picture of him in my brain. A tall and strong young man of twenty one, who left his home in search of a kingdom where he would not be forcibly converted to another religion. The melodious story teller Saradindu Bandopadhyay walks us down a part of Arjun's life. After he saves the king's bride to be from drowning and she falls in love with him, how the king who was once his patron tells him to leave the kingdom. Arjun and his friend were at the border of the country when they saw enemy soldiers trying to make their way in stealthily. In spite of the king's order, Arjun still went back to alert the king about this enemy intrusion and finally saved the country. The king changed his mind and decided to unite the lovers.

Arjun brings back memories of my teenage, the time when girls start to become fans of movie stars and sportsmen. I did have my fair share of those people as well, but Arjun's virtual presence made him my most loved hero. He is always perfect because he is in my mind and he never changes, he would never grow old. Even when I will be an old woman in grey hair, Arjun will still be able to bring back the romance I first cherished in my teenage days.

3. Atticus Finch

I have to mention here is that this character made a greater impression on me because of Gregory Peck. There have been very few incidents where a character in the movie matched the my imagination and in this case I think Gregory Peck is the only person who could fit into this role.

“The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” 
When I think of Atticus Finch, the first thing that comes to my mind is strength of character. All the characteristics people like in a "man" were brilliantly present in him. A loving father and an unusually modern one who let his kids call him by first name he had the perfect balance of how much to control his kids and where to let go. Then came the lawsuit. I don't intend to narrate the whole story here, but my idea is to convey why he is one of my favorite characters. He was a brave man. It is one thing to fight a war, but another thing, and maybe a more difficult one is to fight against stagnant societal rules from within the society one is living. He stood up for justice, he did the right thing. No he didn't win, but he still did what was right.

Atticus Finch is not just an iconic literary hero, but he is and should be an inspiration. If you do the right thing people will still go against you, call you names and even threaten will all sorts of consequences. But some people still do the right thing. He was one of them.

As you can see, all these three men are way different from one another. They span not only over space but time as well. I admire them for different reasons and they bring out different facets in myself.

No comments: