Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Where do you want to see yourself five years from now?

I decided not to talk about work in this blog, but sometimes it will come because it is an integral part of my life. I thought of putting for the title one of the most cliched questions in job interview. It looks like a silly question - how will I know what might happen in five years? Some people say jokingly (I hope not during the interviews) - I see myself in your place. After laughing at this question for a while, I really tried to think why people ask this and then I realized - unless you dream, unless you set yourself a goal, you wouldn't be able to do anything or go anywhere.

And it is not just about work, it is about life. Those people who don't plan their lives, who just go ahead thinking "something will work out" mostly don't get much worked out. I am not saying you need to go about your daily business with a planner in hand, but what I mean is one should dream and make realistic goals. It is not wrong to dream big, actually it is good. But then one has to put those aspirations through practicality and then figure out the final goal. Another thing to keep in mind is, this might be the best case situation and most likely to change. We can't predict the future so something can happen which will turn our self made goals either up or downhill. We have to be prepared.

Don't be shy to set your goals. They may take a while to mature into real projects but you can still make a difference. I have dreams of starting my own non-profit. I know I can't do it now, but if I truly want and prepare myself for that I don't see why I will not be able to make it. I had some other goals too in life, some of them have worked out, some others have taken different forms but so far things look good.

When I first moved to Washington and saw downtown Bellevue, I told Arnab that one day I wish to work in these offices. The tall high rises with company names and logos on top, glistening glass windows and business clothes clad people walking in the streets with laptop bags and coffee mugs in hand, I so wanted to belong there. From yesterday I joined that clan...it was a simple dream but it has come true :)

No comments: