Friday, September 06, 2013

Rainbow Bridge

In loving memory of Zakir Hussain and Hariprasad....

It is sad that I had so very limited knowledge about animals and limited resources that I really couldn't help you much. You needed a lot more things which I had no clue to at that time. I hope you will understand. Maybe you are the reason why I feel that I should do "something" for homeless animals, because in doing so I can reach out to you. That is why Humane Society's or ASPCA's campaigns mean so much to me, that's why I decided to bring Bebe home...
A stray dog is a dog too!

In a country where people are still "afraid" of normal cats and dogs for no reason whatsoever, where people think all stray dogs are rabied and compassion hardly gets a chance, the only way to overcome this situation is by spaying/neutering stray dogs. This is such a simple thing but I don't know why it is so difficult to implement. If just one generation of dogs get fixed, we would have the entire situation under control in a totally humane way. People also need to not be afraid of animals. Unless this fear goes away, help would never come.


Also, animals are not "status symbols".

We need to understand that and stop "buying" animals. Animals are not commodities to be bought, they need to be adopted. They are living souls. These are the people who abandon and brutally treat these animals. I won't call them "pets", as pets are always loved and cared for. I don't know what these people think these animals to be. Well, in a society where even humans are treated brutally and domestic violence is a common affair, what else can you expect?

Zakir Hussain and Hariprasad's souls are living through Bebe and through the shelter dogs whose lives I have indirectly helped make better, their souls will feel happy every time Bebe feels good to be around me. I wish I could just bring them over here now and they could get the best food, vets and care as possible. The only thing I know is they are safe and happy at the Rainbow Bridge and are playing, rolling on the green meadow where it is warm and sunny all year long and the angels are looking after them... I know I will see them again and we will cross the Rainbow Bridge together...
Street pup

Courtsey: Dogs photos are taken by my friend Ayan Goswami in Calcutta, India.

Must read: The Rainbow Bridge - http://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm


6 comments:

AG said...

Very nice....hope one day people will think and feel like you...keep writing...

Reea said...

Thanks :)

Unknown said...

sayari di - there are many things in our country i wish people could change their thinking. this is one of them.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Indeed very touching.. also if people in our country become a little compassionate would change a lot of these stray 'angels' life..

I too remember the day I and my sister gave home to our beloved 'Chosha' when she was just few weeks old and was at our home till her last day... loved to give her 'muri, biscuit' every morning... still do that with Mota, May and Bebe today :) and I love it

It doesn't take a lot but have a little bit sympathy and love to change a stray animals life.. forever!

Hope one-day people in our country will start understanding these values...

Unknown said...

Kedo Mao allowed Arnab to write above comment! :) :)