Friday, October 31, 2008

Musings of Princess Jasmine...



Well, first let me wish you the SPOOKIEST FA-BOO-LOUS HALLOWEEN EVER!!!
Though this was my second halloween in USA, I didn't really celebrate the day last time. I was feeling homesick then and didn't want to dress up. Which, I should admit is very unusual of me.
This time it was different!!! I prepared for halloween from...well, more than a month in advance...I was to be Princess Jasmine, because she's the Disney Princess I like most and my wheatish complexion and black hair would definitely match hers. One of my friends commented that if I dress up like Jasmine, I wouldn't really be dressing up because I WAS Jasmine already...but I think that's too much of a complement :-)
I love the concept of dressing up...it's not just fun but for one day you can be what you want to...you can wear a princessy gown, or can be the devil if you like...
My friends in UAB are the craziest bunch of people I've ever met and what I like about them is the seriousness with which they do the comic things. One of which was dressing up for this party :-)
There were so many different kinds of costumes and characters. There was Jennifer, dressed up as Cinderella. She's blonde, and was looking perfectly like Cinderella and there was a brunette girl in Belle's costume. We three took a picture together and I think the "Disney Princesses" were looking real nice. Someone was a Greek Goddess and some other was a peacock. Shuwen was a Chinese Ghost, she insisted on being called a Ghost but she was looking like a Chinese Princess. So was Mikoku, she wore a Japanese kimono kind of thing and was looking so pretty :-) Naomi was a fortune-teller, Iris was a girl-pirate, Anna was Audrey Hepburn from the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and she was looking so gorgeous!! There were angels as well, Manisha was the dark one and there was a white one too, and devils, and red-riding hood and French maids...everyone looked so cute :-)
Of the guys, Joker was the "in-thing" I guess, because I saw 2 guys dressed up like that. Junsong was a karate master, Trent was Osama bin Laden with my long white scarf wrapped round his head as a turban and a weird looking flowing grey beard!! But he was looking real nice :-) There was Su, dressed as Caesar but he called himself "Su-sar" which I think is a smart way of concatenating the names ;-) There was a tall guy dressed up as an Arab Sheikh and George was I think a Globe-trotter, Saurabh was the ghost from "Scream" and he looked real scary....
The decoration of the hall was also nice, with graveyard wallpaper and ghosts popping out from cauldrons. There were spiderwebs and bats hanging from the ceiling, but what I liked very much were the cute looking spooks that were made by hanging white tablecover on balloons and then drawing eyes and mouth on the covers!!! Candles put in paper bags served as lanterns and of course there were the sweet looking pumpkins put all around :-)
My roomie Kathryn was however, the heroine of the event, for she cooked for 200 people and helped in the decoration and cleaning!!! She didn't dress up but she always looks cute and it's fun when she's around :-)
A day of spooks and a day of fun!!! I will always remember my first halloween celebration at UAB....these happy moments will remain in my memories and later, when I look back to these days, I will see a golden gleam lighting up my past, the golden gleam that comes from the satisfaction that you have nice friends to share your happy moments with.
I love UAB!!!

No comments: